The writing assignment:
In your future courses, you will rarely be given a tightly-limited topic assignment. You will need the basic skills of finding and limiting a topic, formulating a thesis, and researching material to support your thesis. This research/synthesis paper asks you to demonstrate those skills.
For this paper you will select and narrow a topic, find research material, and write a six-page research paper with appropriate MLA documentation of your outside resources.
- The final product will be typed and double-spaced according to MLA format.
- Length: Minimum 2000 words not counting title, your name, etc. That's about a six-page paper. There is no maximum, but try to keep it under 3000. Papers significantly under the minimum (90% or less) will not receive the best possible grade. The Works Cited page does not count as part of the word count.
- Outside sources: The essay will have MLA in-text citations and an MLA Works Cited page which cites at least four outside sources. The MLA documentation will count for 25 points.
- The final copy of the paper will be submitted through the Blackboard drop box.
- Proposal Memo: Friday, November 12, 2021
- Annotated Bibliography: Friday, November 19, 2021
- Thesis Memo: Monday, November 29, 2021
- Peer Editing: Monday, December 6, 2021
- Final Copy Due: Friday, December 10, 2021
This essay is worth 175 points. Of these 175 points, 25 are the MLA documentation.