Begin by reading:
- Ta-Nehisi Coates, "The Paranoid Style of American Policing," 50 Essays
- Mike Rose, "I Just Wanna Be Average," 50 Essays
Your writing task:
You have read about Mike Rose being accidentally placed in the vocational track, how his parents were unequipped to help him, and how the school and various teachers treated the students. You have also read the article by Coates, which draws a picture of community life in Baltimore, Maryland, and discusses police responses to violence.
Now select one issue brought up by either the Coates or Rose essay and write a proposal argument to deal with the problem.
- The final product will be typed and double-spaced according to MLA format.
- The essay will be at least 1700 words long. (That's about 5 pages in standard format.)
- If the paper does not meet the minimum length requirement, it will be penalized. If you can't think up enough material for 5 pages, ask for help! Go to the Writing Lab! Ask the instructor for advice!
- The final copy of the paper will be submitted through the Blackboard drop box.
- Peer Editing: Wednesday, November 3, 2021
- Final Copy Due: Monday, November 8, 2021
This essay is worth 125 points.