Responding to College Freshman Writing
Begin by reading:
"How to Say Nothing in 500 Words" by Paul McHenry Roberts (Blackboard)
The writing assignment:
Choose one (and only one!) of these topics:
- Do you think the "D" allegedly earned by the essay on college football is overly harsh or is it deserved? Justify your answer.
- Roberts seems to have a low opinion of the writing abilities of the typical college freshman. Is he right? And if he is, does his advice hit the mark?
- The final product will be typed and double-spaced according to MLA format.
- The essay will be at least 1300 words long. (That's about 4 pages in standard format.)
- If the paper does not meet the minimum length requirement, it will be penalized. If you can't think up enough material for four pages, ask for help! Go to the Writing Center! Ask the instructor for advice!
- The final copy of the paper will be submitted through the Blackboard drop box. You will find the drop box link in the Blackboard folder for the week the essay is due.
- Analyzing your draft—bring your rough of Essay #4 to class: Monday, March 28, 2022
- Peer Editing: Wednesday, March 30, 2022
- Final Copy Due: Friday, April 1, 2022
This essay is worth 100 points.