Summary & Response
Begin by reading "Spelling Matters" by Mikita Brottman (available through Blackboard).
Two parts to this assignment:
First part: A brief summary
Write a brief summary of the Brottman article. This will not be an evaluation or a response, so language such as "I really liked this" or "This author had a good point" will not be part of the summary.
Second part: A thoughtful academic response
Using the same article, take a position on one of the issues the author is discussing, explain how you and the author agree or disagree, and bring out evidence to show that your position is true.
- The summary is a maximum of 150 words! No more!
- The response is the equivalent of a three-page paper. A three-page paper should be between 880 and 1060 words long, not counting title, your name, etc.
Format: Standard MLA format. (12-point Times Roman type, double-spaced, 1" margin all around, MLA header.)
Submitting the paper:
- The English Department wants electronic copies of all your essays this semester, so please upload the final product to the drop box in Blackboard. Some students (especially those who use Google
Docs) have trouble figuring out how to do this, so ask if you are uncertain how to proceed!
- If you have any trouble getting the Blackboard upload to work, simply print a copy and bring it to class.
- Summary: Friday, February 23, 2018
- Response: Friday, March 2, 2018
The summary is worth 25 points.
The response is worth 75 points.