Agassiz and the Fish
Begin by reading:
"How Agassiz Taught Professor Scudder" (Blackboard)
The writing assignment:
Consider the way Professor Agassiz dealt with his student. It would have taken a lot less time if Agassiz had simply explained bilateral symmetry, and then gone on to other things. Why didn't he do it that way? Can you learn anything from this reading and from the Professor's teaching technique that you can apply to your own university studies?
- The final product will be typed and double-spaced according to MLA format.
- The essay will be at least 1300 words long. (That's about 4 pages in standard format.)
- If the paper does not meet the minimum length requirement, it will be penalized. If you can't think up enough material for 4 pages, ask for help! Go to the Writing Lab! Ask the instructor for advice!
- The final copy of the paper will be submitted through the Blackboard drop box.
- Peer Editing: Monday, October 25, 2021
- Final Copy Due: Wednesday, October 27, 2021
This essay is worth 100 points.