Argument: Does Spelling Matter?
Begin by reading:
The writing assignment:
Madders Matters" presents two distinct viewpoints (though the author is a bit soft-edged on her own opinion):
- The idea that the candidate's clinical skills and other considerations (gender, race) outweigh such problems as a spelling error on her résumé. Pure academics are less important than finding the right person to get the task done.
- The idea that careful editing and academic precision really are part of the focus of a college or university, so a candidate who is unaware of small proofreading issues is truly unsuited for this clinical position. (The soft-edged part here is that the author admits that she does not enforce precise accuracy on some typesetting issues.)
Choose a side, present and defend your position, using data and logic.
- The final product will be typed and double-spaced according to MLA format.
- The essay will be at least 950 words long. (That's about 3 pages in standard format.)
- If the paper does not meet the minimum length requirement, it will be penalized. If you can't think up enough material for 3 pages, ask for help! Go to the Writing Lab! Ask the instructor for advice!
- The final copy of the paper will be submitted through the Blackboard drop box.
- Friday, December 10: Final copy of essay #5 is DUE!
This essay is worth 75 points.