Response to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Begin by reading:
The writing assignment:
Abdul-Jabbar claims that one learns two things in college:
- "feeding students certain factual information, then testing them to make sure they retain it" and
- "teaching them to think logically in order to form opinions based on facts rather than on familial and social influences."
He also claims that the second kind of learning is under attack both inside and outside the colleges. Is his claim fair and accurate? What would you say about his evidence? Does his evidence correspond with anything you have observed? And finally, how effective is this piece in making its point?
- The final product will be typed and double-spaced according to MLA format.
- The essay will be at least 1300 words long. (That's about 4 pages in standard format.)
- If the paper does not meet the minimum length requirement, it will be penalized. If you can't think up enough material for 4 pages, ask for help! Go to the Writing Lab! Ask the instructor for advice!
- The final copy of the paper will be submitted through the Blackboard drop box.
- Friday, November 19: Final copy of essay #4 is DUE!
This essay is worth 100 points.