A Notable Person in My Life
The writing assignment:
Write a character sketch of someone you know well, focusing on one dominant character trait.
Read that whole assignment sentence! It says,
- "someone you know well" (which means that a character sketch of Martin Luther King or Barack Obama won't work for this assignment—this is not a research paper).
Notice that "someone" is a single person, not a group!
- "focusing on one dominant character trait" (which means that a general catalog of eye color, hair color, height, weight, food preferences, and work history is not what we want either).
Length: The equivalent of a three-page paper. A three-page paper should be between 880 and 1060 words long, not counting title, your name, etc.
Format: Standard MLA format. (12-point Times Roman type, double-spaced, 1" margin all around, MLA header.)
Submitting the paper:
- The English Department wants electronic copies of all your essays this semester, so please upload the final product to the drop box in Blackboard. Some students (especially those who use Google
Docs) have trouble figuring out how to do this, so ask if you are uncertain how to proceed!
- If you have any trouble getting the Blackboard upload to work, simply print a copy and bring it to class.
- Final copy: Friday, March 2, 2018
This essay is worth 75 points.