Essay #2: Explanation—Exposition
Begin by reading:
- Michael Niman: "As Confederate Flags Fall, Columbus Statues Stand Tall" (America Now, pages 121-127)
The writing assignment:
Niman refers to the "whitewashing of American history" in paragraph 15. What does this mean? Think of the history you know. Is it "whitewashed"? Using examples drawn from school, books, or television, explain why you think the history you learned is or is not whitewashed.
- The essay will be at least 3 pages long. (That's about 970 words in standard format.)
- If the paper does not meet the minimum length requirement, it will be penalized. If you can't think up enough material for 3 pages, ask for help! Contact the Writing Center! Ask the instructor for advice!
- The final copy of the paper will be submitted through the drop box in the Blackboard folder for the due date.
- Peer editing: Bring two paper copies of your rough draft on this date:
- Monday cohort: Monday, September 28, 2020
- Wednesday cohort: Wednesday, September 30, 2020
- Friday cohort: Friday, September 25, 2020
- Friday, October 2, 2020: Final copy of essay #2 is DUE!
This essay is worth 75 points.