Your Road to Writing
Begin by reading "My Road to Writing" by Kristi Stone (available through Blackboard).
Your Writing Task
Write a brief essay discussing one or more of the things that shaped you into the writer you are today.
Hints for Success:
Kristi Stone wrote this essay as a student, and you should use it as a model for several things:
- Her language level and approach to her audience.
- Her specific language and examples.
- Her essay structure.
Length: The equivalent of a two-page paper. A two-page paper should be between 560 and 680 words long, not counting title, your name, etc.
Format: Standard MLA format. (12-point Times Roman type, double-spaced, 1" margin all around, MLA header.)
Submitting the paper:
- The English Department wants electronic copies of all your essays this semester, so please upload the final product to the drop box in Blackboard. Some students (especially those who use Google
Docs) have trouble figuring out how to do this, so ask if you are uncertain how to proceed!
- If you have any trouble getting the Blackboard upload to work, simply print a copy and bring it to class.
- Final copy: Friday, September 8, 2017
This essay is worth 50 points.